I'm sure you're aware that this doesn't have much to do with HLDS/SRCDS,
but I'll save you the lecture since steampowered.com's forums are awful
and not many places address this particular issue

Do some research on the components involved in your connection,
particularily if some sort of NAT router/modem is involved, there are a
number of devices that will just roll over and die if you open too many
connections at once, alternatively try lowering steam's connection
setting to DSL 256k or so, which will reduce the number of servers steam
tries to query at once.

Donovan Pratt wrote:

When i do a server serach on steam. doesnt matter what game i look
for. but when i open up the main server list. and it started listing
the servers under the game i pick. it always kills my internet.