m0gely wrote:

While I applaud this response and it finally being done, I would suggest
making the cvar protected as well.  Many people probably use a web host
that they have only FTP access to, or sometimes cpanel.  They will not
have access to make modifications to apache itself.  I think both ideas
are useful and worth it.  Please make this a protected cvar.

The feature has actually been there quite a while (at least months,
according to logs).
Hiding the cvar is not useful. If someone really wants to steal your
bandwidth, they can use some external tool to see where the requests
are going, so while it may stop the average player it won't stop
anyone who actually wants to do this. Security through obscurity isn't
usually a Good Idea. I would say people with only FTP access should
be allowed to use .htaccess, if they can't well, they're SOL, sorry.

cheers,
--
Richard