In regards to no windows autoupdate feature...

Any GSP (using winblowz) worth a grain of salt have created batch files that
are processed to run daily. Just to make sure there wasn't an update and to
update servers if indeed there was an update. These batch files are set
through task scheduler and executed automatically (as well as a server
reboot to reduce lag). I see a minority of gsp owners on this list
complaining. Perhaps that is because the majority of gsp owners now how to
check for updates.

Also, it is a known fact between 8-10pm est is when these updates are
usually released. Again any GSP worth a grain of salt has taken steps to
"check" for these updates. No offense Rayne, but if you ARE that lazy that
you do not have a batch process for checking for updates yet, I think you
are way behind in the game as far as the gsp business goes.

I have been running and updating hl and hl2 mod servers for 6+ years now and
I can tell you first hand. It does not take a rocket scientist to craft a
batch file to check for updates. Here is a cycle you COULD consider.

Batch is task scheduled to perform at 2000 and 2200 hours to a master
folder, if there is an update it will download related mod's your gsp
carries into this master folder. Now this is where you must get off your
butt a little. The owner then takes and copies each mod's set of files into
any clients setups. Once all mod's are taken care of in this manner, a
master reboot is done (I use firedaemon) and guess what? All of your servers
are up to date.

With the exception of the linux debacle last week (yeah autoupdate feature
did not help them much) it has been relatively smooth updating a game
server. I did run a gsp for a while, but lacked the time to devote to it to
see it grow. Numerous updates were ran and applied to my clients. To no ill
effect.

You could take the process above and automate it almost with some clever
batch work (EG: copy and pasting of downloaded files into client directories
and rebooting). Making it completely autonomous. In fact if you spent half
as much time crafting batch files as you did typing that post to the list,
you would have been done already.

Sorry for the behavior to others in this list. I am just sick and tired of
the haters around here flaming valve for their (the flamers) incompetence.
Especially ones who claim to run a gsp who have no clue as to how to
automate the update process. So get off the bash wagon already and learn how
to run a gsp.

In parting, in regards to the recent "lag". The game is evolving, your
hardware requirements are going to evolve too.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone. Happy Holidays to
those that don't celebrate Christmas.

-StealthMode