The netcode explantion in the developer wiki is a great example:

On a 33 tickrate server lets assume the player has a 150ms ping, with 20
> updates a second and 1/3 of them are lost, this is how the Source netcode
> will operate......

I am paraphrasing of course, but I doubt many of us care to cater for a
person on this sort of connection, as they are the minority now.

We do what we can though I guess.