woops thats hl1 games cs and cz so far that are affected. Ive also done
a -verify_all check as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Affordablegameservers.com
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 9:21 PM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds] spiky servers

Since the last update I have had people come to me with servers that
randomly spike. Ive had a bit of trouble pinning the problem down.

Ive had the one server on 3 different machines. from dual 2.4 xeons no ht to
dual 3.2 xeons with ht windows 2000 and windows 2003
Ive verified by network ping from another dc that the network latency is
steady when the spike happens.
Ive done 2 installs (one straight from the hldsupdater)
Ive had no plugins running,  meta (1.19p28) amxx 1.6, 1.7
The servers have from 20-40% cpu and about 40-50% memory used so i can rule
out cpu/memory i believe.
Ive had it on a non hyper threaded box. Ive set it to 1 cpu's affinity.
normal, above normal cpu priority.

I have performance monitor running and have no real hard drive queue or
anything spiky on the box that i can detect.

Servers on the same box that have not been updated seem to be fine and are
at a normal cpu priority.

About the only thing I can tell is restarting the gameserver will make it ok
for a while.

I do see drops in fps (but no cpu increase ive never seen it over about 30%
cpu the game itself in stats) on the servers affected. If i watch 2 consoles
side by side one updated one not the updated one will drop down to
20-30 fps (but no extra cpu usage that i can catch)its been difficult to
line up with the spiking though it may not spike when that happens. while
the nonupdated one will stay around 200 where its set.

Anyone else running into this? What happens is everyone in the server will
go from say 40-150 for about 1/2 a second or so but in netgraph the latcncy
will stay at 40 or so. There is a definate stutter to the game when this
happens. Like windows forgot about the server for a second. It appears to be
worse with plugins and metamod running (worse meaning more often.)

Im at a loss really since other servers appear fine on the same box.

any help would be appreciated.