When exactly are you running more than 4-6 HLDS/SRCDS per physical server?

It's the same thing, day in day out Steven, unless you are one of those
server providers that deliberately over-subscribe their boxes.

Exactly what is it that you are doing, that so spectacularly different from
the rest of us?

You have 1 Dual 3.0GHz Xeon box, you know you can safely run 4 x 18 player
100 tickrate SRCDS on this server
You have 1 Dual Core Dual CPU Opteron box, you know you can safely run 4 x
32 player 100 tickrate SRCDS on this server
You have 1 Dual Xeon 3.6GHz box,  you know you can safely run 6 x 18 player
HLDS on this server
You have 1 Dual Xeon 3.6GHz box,  you know you can safely run 4 x 32 player
HLDS on this server (so long as they don't all end up on the same CPU that
is)

You have your physical servers
You know what they are capable of
You know how much resources HLDS or SRCDS wants to consume for a given
player number
You know how you would want the processes managed for each CPU
You are not constantly rearranging ALL your servers each and every day

I fail to understand where this starts to become rocket science?