I think the map.txt files only get updated when there's a new map.

Chris | FatPipeServer.com wrote:
Hello,

I'm not sure if this has been touched on or not in the past... But if so,
maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

I am wondering if there's any way to stop the Steam Updates from writing
over the maplist.txt, and mapcycle.txt files when doing a HL2 or CSS update.
Also maybe a way to stop it from overwriting the server.dll file in case
someone is using a server-side mod.

I have a system for backing these up and replacing them once the update is
complete, but I was wondering if maybe there was some kind of -switch for
the hldsupdatetool for this, or maybe one could be implemented by Valve.

Just hoping, I guess.

Chris