The maximum sv_maxrate of 30000 was told to me directly by Alfred that it is
currently hard coded into SRCDS, so that is where I get my authority on that
subject. Ask Alfred off list for confirmation if you want. Who knows, maybe
this value will change.

On a side note, I do remember the Valve Developer Site notes for SRCDS once
saying it could support up to 255 players or some fancilful number like
that, but this has now disappeared. Maybe there are others out there who can
testify to witnessing the same value for the supposed original online
multiplayer limit that was envisaged for SRCDS?

You are correct, about cl_rate (which no longer exists anyway) and I should
change it, and yes, the clients can easily send more than 10KBytes/Second
worth of data.

cl_updaterate has a hard limit of 100 (from memory), cl_cmdrate does not
seem to have a hard limit other than the clients fps, but due to the nature
of SRCDS client/server communications, all you end up doing is sending the
same amount of data after a certain point no matter how high the cl_cmdrate
is.

I have been at Valve to provide a SRCDS Netcode explanation on how things
should be setup in optimal circumstances, rather than the 20/30/56Kbitsps
with 33% packet loss explanation they currently have.

BTW, its a wiki, create an account and fix it yourself  :p