I've actually got to say I've seen both ways....I've got one guy from europe
that plays on my server and constantly has a 150-175 ping, but, when I get
someone stateside logged in that's over a 150 ping, for some unknown reason
everyone's pings jump to over 600 and when I kick the guy with the 150+
everyone drops back down and is fine....

If someone with crappy ping due to crappy connection can't bring everyone
else to a crawl, then I'd like to know what does it so I can prevent it in
the future.