From: Scott Tuttle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 9:02 AM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: RE: [hlds] CPU - System Process Issues - Dual Proc System

> If it's always around the same time, a couple of things to consider.
>
> What time do you have set for OS and software updates to run?
> Do you have an Anti-Virus installed and if so, what time is it set to
> do a scan?
>
> Both of the above items will defer to a person logged in as they are
> meant to run in the background.
>
> For a decent piece of software to control process affinity, take a
> look at:
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html.
>
> You might also post up what this machine is serving to clients. Email,
> web, fileserver...

I thought about this which was why I disabled windows update.  I do not have
antivirus installed on the machine.

I do not need a software to control affinity.  Today I will add processor
affinity to my server launch process application.

It does serve some http but only for sv_downloadurl for the servers.  There
were no mapchanges at the time the only process using cpu was the System
process.  The web process has its own exe w3p.exe and I was using
ProcessExplorer to watch the cpu.  But when it shows System using 100% of a
cpu it does not show which process inside of "System" that is hogging up the
cpu.

Thanks for the input.

Scott