Gosh, what a nonsense... Every statement that pretends to be a
valuable piece of advice is so stupid that I cannot even choose the
one to mock at...

On 21/08/06, kyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I almost forgot to give all you windows admins this.
If you must run on windows, this will help.

 General tips for Windows HLDS performance

Don't over-mod your server, AMX and adminmod are useful tools, but loading
AMX, AM, Statsme, several of Hullu's mods, WC3 mod (both kinds!), etc, etc..
 Will only add more CPU stress to your server... If your CPU becomes
overworked, client pings will go up as the server loses the ability to keep
calculating packet information and sending them out at a fast pace.
Don't run multiple instances of HLDS unless you're running a multi-processor
machine... It would be... Unwise for you to think you can do this
Use a clean-install of Windows, to keep 3rd party background
processes/services to a minimum
If you do not have a hardware firewall, use a software firewall that runs as
a background service, and can be tweaked to fit HLDS' needs without bogging
down the rest of the system with unnecessary security
Keep Windows updated! Unfortunately Windows has security issues, and
although the auto-update feature sounds like a good idea for an HLDS server,
it's really rather bothersome because you cannot choose which updates to
install or ignore, and your server may decide to suddenly reboot to install
critical updates. I suggest you disable/stop the auto-update service, and
specify a time of the week that you will use to turn off the server and do
updates/maintenance
Disable unused/unnecessary services (there are so many articles on this, a
good one is http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/ser.../servicecfg.htm)
Although WinHL-Booster DOES work to some degree, it usually loses its
effectiveness at 5-6 players, and in his new version, even makes use of PDH
to gather performance data, which again - is more pointless DLL loading
which should be avoided. Though increasing the global mmtimer resolution
does help somewhat, it's sort've trivial - it's up to you.
If you're not using your server for IIS/FTP, disabled those services for
security and for extra resources. If you must use IIS/FTP, enable CPU
throttling, and enforce a limit of 1% usage, this is still plenty for a
simple webpage or FTP access, don't let IIS/FTP take focus away from HLDS.
Specifying "-heapsize xxxx" at the command line seems to have lost all
affect as I can specify "-heapsize 999999999" without crashing...
Limiting packet rate is usually a good idea! The more packets your server
receives every second, the more work it has to do, and this increases
exponentially! A client updaterate of 20 packets-per-second, is more than
enough for smooth gameplay, and anything over 50 is just pointless CPU use
and will only increase client choke and packet-loss (unless you're on a LAN
) If you have a weaker CPU but would like to host more players, try
decreasing the sv_maxupdaterate value from 100 (screw CAL, 100pps is
pointless) to something lower to prevent players from overloading your CPU
with packet information.
Use various tweak guides to get better network performance. I am not one of
those guides, there are plenty... Make the most out of your connection! I
suggest looking around @ http://www.winguides.com/