This is a tough issue, on both sides.  Both Adam and Alfred make good
points, in defense of Valve - however, it would be interesting to hear from
the developers of such mods as Mani as to why they chose not to use the
documented SDK in the development of some features within their
applications.  It's clear to me, for example, that the author of the Mani
mod has his wits about him - so simply attributing his design decisions to
laziness or bad practice might be a bit facile.  Is there something he
needed to do that forced him to use hard-coded offsets?  Do the features he
developed pre-date the implementation of better support in a subsequent SDK
update?

One thing I completely agree with is that there is a very important, if
unconscious, symbiotic relationship between Valve and the developers of
tools such as Mani.  The wide acceptance and use of these tools speaks to a
need in the gaming community that is not fulfilled by Valve directly.  This
is not a criticism, Valve does what they do quite well.   But for thousands
of players, Mani Mod makes the game more enjoyable and helps control
unwelcome behaviour.

Nevertheless, a bit of coordination with major admin-mod developers (of
which there are probably very few) leading up to the release of an update
might go a ways to making the upgrade transition smoother.  To the credit of
admin-mod developers like Mani, they are very quick to test and adjust to
problems.

I am curious - to what extent and how do most admins go about testing Valve
updates before turning them up on their "production" server(s)?

Frazer