From: Bart King [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 6:02 AM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: RE: Re: [hlds] Unable to HOSt because..

Hi there,

Since this thread is going off on some really wild tangents, here is my
evidence about getting a *dedicated* server for Counter-Strike: Source
running on a LAN and able to accept remote connections.

The following URL shows a screenshot detailing the ports that srcds.exe
listens on and connects to:

http://www.bart666.com/stuff/css-lan-server.png

The greyed out text are just other services and connections present on a
default Vista installation, so ignore those.  You'll note that the
server is bound to 192.168.1.3:27015 - this is the correct IP address
for the server to be listening on, as the computer itself is behind a
NAT router, therefore it does not know about an Internet connection
itself.

In the cmd.exe, the IP addresses on the left are ports and connections
that go FROM the computer.  On the right, these are ports and
connections on a REMOTE computer (i.e. stuff it is connected to).

In the white box inset, you'll see my port forwarding configuration.
Note that there are three ports forwarded on TCP AND UDP for 27005,
27015, 27020.  The server itself accepts Counter-Strike clients on
27015, but 27005 and 27020 are related to STEAM, and must also be
accessible to accept connections.

There is a setting to set the server to listen on LAN or Internet - if
this is set to LAN, the server itself does not seem to make the required
communication with STEAM for validation (I could be wrong, but I haven't
broken out the packet analysers for that ;).

Aside from what's shown, I have not done any other special setup.  The
command line I started the server with was:

        \valve\srcds\srcds.exe -game cstrike

No "+ip" setting or anything.

I have tested this with a remote machine, and was able to successfully
connect to RCON (which listens on TCP 27015) and also to UDP 27015.
But, you can't actually play Counter-Strike via remote desktop, so I
didn't go that far (however, it is the same setup I have used in the
past with other people).

My ISP does not block any ports, have any silly proxy routing or
anything that'll just complicate matters - pure 8mbit ADSL for me.

If you are able to emulate this setup for your server and still
experience problems, it will be something conflicting on your machine or
indirectly by your ISP.  To check what your server is actually listening
on and what IP: Start->Run, cmd, netstat -an

Also, on the subject of being able to host a server, and play the game
on the SAME computer is really not recommended.  Because games are not
multi-threaded or support SMP (yes please Valve!) your server will be
fighting for processor time from your extremely CPU intensive
full-screen DirectX game and introduce huge amounts of lag or even lock
ups for remote players.

Listen servers - don't bother ;)

--

Bart King