Hello,

When you say "cannot join or host on Half-Life", what do you mean
specifically?

Are you talking about Half-Life 1 (the original version of Half-Life) or
Half-Life 2?  Half-Life 1 has a multiplayer deathmatch mode, but this
does not use Source.  Half-Life 2 also has a deathmatch mode, but is
entirely separate from Half-Life 2 the game.

If you are unable to connect to any Half-Life 1 deathmatch server or
Half-Life 2 deathmatch server, it's difficult to make suggestions
because there are so many factors to consider (especially since HL1 and
HL2 use rather different engines and therefore different networking
sub-systems).

In the console of the game, you can find out a bit more information when
you connect to a server.  Find an IP address of a server to connect to,
then in the console in the game, type:

        developer 2
        connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyyy

A loading screen may appear, and stuff whiz past in the console, but at
the point it fails, your console will contain more information about why
it failed.  If its purely to do with not being able to connect (e.g. you
get a timeout, or the client fails to connect after four attempts),
something on your machine or network is blocking the connection.

Also, make sure your local game files are intact.  In STEAM, right-click
the game, Properties, Local Files and click "Verify integrity of game
cache".

Aside from knowing exactly what you are trying to do (and what game you
are trying to connect to), I can't give any more assistance.

Cheers,
--
Bart King
http://www.bart666.com -- +44 781 219 5654