From: "Roman Hatsiev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:38:18 +0300

Subject: [hlds] Post-outage thoughts

First of all I'm sorry for being too pessimistic in the following

paragraph, to expect worst must be a general habit of any IT

professional.

I'm pretty much surprised that the authentication of whole Steam

network depends on single location regardless of how good this

location is in whatever terms - costs, availability, reliability, etc.

Even for my small non-commercial project joining together few thousand

members I'm looking for options to introduce some redundancy. Steam on

other hand serves millions of customers worldwide and redundancy is a

must for the community of such size. Unfortunately things happen -

9/11, New Orleans, you name it - so no single location in a world is

good enough for Steam.

At the same time I realise that setting up a redundant authentication

system is a huge effort in terms of time and money so I suggest

introducing premium Steam accounts for some low monthly fee to

generate some income for this and other related projects.

First obvious advantage to give to premium account is extra bandwidth

of content servers and ability to choose a content server to download

things from - people generally value the freedom of choice they can

get for a reasonable fee :) Second advantage can be a special icon

which could be shown is friends chat, score tables and other places

where player name is mentioned - kids gonna like it, believe me :)

After some brainstorming more advantages which do not require enormous

effort can be invented - longer expiration time for some demos,

releasing demos/games to premium customers say week before releasing

it to everyone else, more guest passes, premium content like

wallpapers, desktop themes, etc.

By the way, I can generate even more ideas backed with detailed

justifications, feel free to ask :)

Regards,

Roman