Netcom had a massive outage in '96 that lasted almost the same
duration as this valve outage.

At 11:06 AM 12/18/2006, -Mike- wrote:
There are far too many 90% empty datacenters practically sitting on
top of major exchanges down here in the SF Bay Area (and all over
the US) for Valve to have suffered the outage they saw due to storm
conditions.   I'm sorry, but a decent distributed network
architecture with properly configured load balancing hardware takes
care of these single points of failure.  But hey, what do I
know...  I only managed Yahoo's mailservers at GlobalCenter,
FriendFinder and Lycos' hardware at Exodus, built and managed
bulletproof network backbones at @Home and Netcom...  So it's not
like I'd know anything about engineering a method of preventing a
little lack of power, IP dialtone, or overload from taking
your  biggest cash machine offline.

(sigh)

Sorry Valve, I'm gainfully employed and I do not consult on the side.

-Mike-
~~~~
-Mike- is: Biker ~ Slacker ~ Iconoclast ~ Eclectic Thinker