Usually home routers don't have firewalls, they just have the side effect of
acting like one because of the way NAT works (which doesn't block any
outbound connections, just inbound). He said is router is an OpenBSD server
though and that he's not the one that manages it, so it could definitely
have some firewall rule blocking outbound connections on certain ports.