At 02:41 PM 4/17/2007 +0400, Roman wrote:

>I can't see why you might need to choose between singlecore and
>multicore processors. Even low-end dual 5110 machine now costs a bit
>more than decent dual P4-3.4 and performs MUCH better.

        If the limiting factor is clock cycles for the HLDS engine, throwing
more cores at it won't help.  The only other option is to find a single core it
can run on with more cycles to work with.  A dedicated box is honestly a waste
of money, but in time-critical applications often times its the only way.

        Naturally, one would have to have some real-world benchmarks to compare
a 3.8Ghz single-core against the 5110's twin 1.6Ghz cores on a single process.
I'm not betting the server farm on this yet, I'm just trying to see what my
options are going to be two to six months from now.

         - Dan

* Dan Sorenson      DoD #1066      A.H.M.C. #35     [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* Vikings?  There ain't no vikings here.  Just us honest farmers.   *
* The town was burning, the villagers were dead.  They didn't need  *
* those sheep anyway.  That's our story and we're sticking to it.   *