Hi,

I'd like to provide a tip, ask a question, and raise an issue regarding the
new pure server functionality.

[1.] First up, I'd like to give other server operators a tip regarding pure
servers. Here is a quote from the Pure Servers page on the Valve Developer
Wiki:

"To use pure server mode on a server, set the sv_pure console variable to 1.
Then, the next time a map is loaded the server will begin ensuring that the
content (materials, models, and sounds) on client machines matches the
content on the server."

This is an important point when it comes to configuring your server. From my
experiments, I learned that typing sv_pure 1 or sv_pure 2 in your server.cfg
file will result in the setting taking effect after the first map change. If
you want your server to run in pure mode from the word go, you should place
sv_pure 1 or sv_pure 2 in your autoexec.cfg file.

[2.] Secondly - a question. After updating my Counter-Strike: Source server
to the latest version, I noticed that the pure_server_whitelist.txt file was
located in the hl2 directory. There was no copy in the cstrike directory,
though. If I want to customise the whitelist, should I edit the copy that is
located in the hl2 directory or should I copy it into the cstrike directory
and make my changes to that copy?

[3.] Finally, I noticed a possible oversight in the pure server console
commands. Here is another quote from the Pure Servers page on the Valve
Developer Wiki:

"If you set sv_pure to 2, then the server will not even load the
pure_server_whitelist.txt file. Instead, it will apply the from_steam
attribute to all materials, models, and sounds. This can be useful for
competitive matches where one team is hosting the game. The team who is not
hosting the game can look in their console at round start and see which
sv_pure mode the server is using. If the server is using sv_pure 2, then the
non-hosting team can know that the players on the hosting team are not using
custom content."

I set sv_pure 2 in my autoexec.cfg and started my server. After I joined it,
I noticed that the value for sv_pure was not replicating to my client. The
value remained at the default of 0 and I could change the value in my client
console. I would have expected it to display the server's value if I typed
sv_pure in the console without any parameter. In addition, if I supplied a
parameter, I would have expected it to say: "Can't change replicated ConVar
sv_pure from console of client, only server operator can change its value".

I do realise that the console displays the line: "Got pure server whitelist:
sv_pure = 2." when you join the server. However, I still feel that sv_pure
should be replicated. Maybe this is something to put on the to-do list for
the next Source Engine update.

Ciao.
Matthew Kerswill.
"WildCat"