-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Whisper
Sent: Friday, 7 September 2007 2:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; HLDS
Subject: [hlds] Reducing Cheats on Servers

The following is only our point of view, your mileage may vary.

It is becoming increasingly apparent to us that the majority of the
cheats
we see on our Counter-Strike:Source servers are coming from NetCafe
Accounts.

VAC for the most part seems to be working as a deterrent to the majority
of
normal users. I do not have access to VAC banning stats, but for all I
know
it maybe banning boatloads of players.

The main problem here is, VAC's delayed banning system has no effect
whatsoever on NetCafe Accounts, as it is a simple case for a NetCafe
users
to log out of the STEAM account they are using at the NetCafe and then
log
back in when they have been banned from a server by an admins and renter
the
server with a new STEAM_ID, and in any case, who cares about being VAC
banned if you effectively have unlimited access to STEAM_ID's that
aren't
yours any how?

Here is the thing though, most Netcafes are connected to the Internet
via
Static IP's.

It is a rather trivial task to go through the logs with a program like
HLStatsX and run a query that generates a list of STEAM_ID's on a per IP
basis.

Then you check to see which IP's have lots of STEAM_ID's attached to
them,
and then you add those IP addresses to your banned_ip.cfg file and run
it at
server start, instant mass reduction of cheats you will see on your
server.

If you want to be sure, just do a traceroute to the IP in question just
be sure you are not wiping a college or university out, but most often
you
will find that these are not going to have Netcafe accounts associated
with
them anyhow.

But you can be almost certain that if you see more than 20 STEAM_ID's
originating from the 1 IP address, you have found a NetCafe that is
using
your servers.

Now the problem for Valve, is if lots of Game Server Providers start IP
banning NetCafes from their servers, it instantly devalues Valves
NetCafe
program, since the NetCafe users will find it increasingly difficult to
find
servers to play on the Internet. In fact it is my understanding that if
you
IP ban, then your servers will no longer even come up on that IP's
server
browser, they will either not show up at all, or they show up as not
responding, in either case the result is the same.

I do not have a simple answer to this, but whilst delayed banning
exists,
there is no other way to stop cheats on servers who have effectively
unlimited access to STEAM Accounts, other than to IP ban them.

Thoughts?