Disable anything that isn't used, especially since this will free up memory.

This is a very extensive list of services and descriptions and
recommendations what to enable / disable:
http://www.blackviper.com

For example most game servers will not have a printer attached so disable
the print spooler, etc.

The native firewall is not necessarily a bad thing to have enabled although
iptables are lower overhead but can be a bit tricky to use.

I also always disable all NETBIOS services and driver options under TCP.

The only network protocol that typically needs to be enabled is TCP.   QoS
can thieve bandwidth away and give nothing in return and SSDP and UPNP are
not useful either and can represent additional security risk.

Get rid of themes and wallpaper and screensavers too.

Most servers don't have need for an audio subsystem, so disable that service
too.

Any service or feature that is running that you don't will need take up cpu
cycles and memory that the game server is always starving for.

Typically there are only 19 or 20 or so necessary services for a Win2K3 or
XP system running a game server with a baseline Commit Charge of 100 to
120MB.

Server2003 has a lot of these services disabled by default but might also
have a boatload of IIS related stuff that it's also best to not use on a
game server.

Something else ... I never allow automatic OS updates on my game servers, I
always do this manually (and religiously).

If you have an Anti-Virus installed on your server it's best to not allow it
to run automatic scans too, a game server should not be used to browse the
web or download stuff either.

Even uninstalling things like a custom mouse driver can help too.

Philosophy: Lean Mean Game Serving Machine!

I have a little toolkit that I wrote that has a lot of basic management and
process scan tool links that has been very useful in managing my game
servers.
It does require 1.1 or 2.0 DOT.NET installed but these are very low overhead
OS updates so not a problem

The webpage for the toolkit is here:
http://QSextreme.com/qs_toolkit

I am adding new things all the time to it, I just recently added a Community
SteamID lookup that I find very useful for checking players on my servers.

qUiCkSiLvEr