Note: I see a new v23.mst was released...

I use a battch file as well:

date/t
time/t
hldsupdatetool -command update -game "tf" -retry -dir c:\srcds
time/t
@pause

BTW: I only use the verify all switch if I suspect something broken or was
missed.

17:34:01 Protocol version 12
         Exe version 1.0.0.6 (tf)
         Exe build: 16:55:12 Oct 23 2007 (3272)

C:\srcds>date/t
Mon 10/29/2007
C:\srcds>time/t
05:35 PM
C:\srcds>hldsupdatetool -command update -game "tf" -retry -dir c:\srcds
Checking bootstrapper version ...

Getting version 23 of Steam HLDS Update Tool
Downloading. . . . . . . . . . .

C:\HLSource>time/t
05:35 PM

Press any key to continue . . . Checking bootstrapper version ...
Updating Installation

Checking/Installing 'Team Fortress 2 Content' version 13

Checking/Installing 'Team Fortress 2 Materials' version 6

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Materials' version 8

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Models' version 4

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Sounds' version 4

Checking/Installing 'Team Fortress 2 Dedicated Server' version 11

HLDS installation up to date