I'm pretty sure most people who are able to download and install steam are
also able to click a check box that has the words "Standard Servers Only"
next to it.  Check boxes are a common feature in most applications and many
web pages.  It's not for "hard core gamers" anymore than sending an email is
for "hard core communicators."