-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tony Paloma
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:51 PM
To: 'Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list'
Subject: Re: [hlds] Another command to crash servers. Fuckyay.

But it's data mining. You should ask yourself if what you are doing (or
asking to do) is ethical.

Example data mining scenario:

Ravi Singh works for one of the major credit card companies in their
data-processing center. The company is continuously developing new products
to offer to customers and add revenue to the corporation. He is an avid
reader of the computer magazines and recently has been reading about
data-mining tools that are now available for a reasonable cost. Ravi goes to
his supervisor with the suggestion that their unit purchase one of these
tools and use it to find out more about their customers. The information may
be telling in terms of customer interest and capability.

The supervisor likes the idea. After exploring the systems that are
available, the unity purchases one and Ravi is assigned to explore patterns
in the database of information on the company's customers and their
purchasing habits.

Ravi discovers that certain zip codes are highly correlated with loan
defaults. These zip codes must be in low-income areas for the mined and
analyzed data indicate that the company would reduce its losses
significantly by refusing to extend credit to anyone living in twenty-five
zip codes, while at the same time not significantly reducing their revenues.
In other words, on average losses due to default generated by individuals in
those zip codes were greater than revenue generated.

Ravi continues with his data mining. Next he discovers a correlation between
those who use their credit cards to make contributions to Hindu charitable
organizations and those who charge over $40,000 a year on their credit
cards. This information seems important. If the company made a special
effort to solicit Hindu's as customers, it might be able to increase its
revenues significantly.

Ravi goes to his supervisor with the suggestion that they adopt these
strategies. Has Ravi done anything wrong? If his company adopts these
strategies, have they done anything wrong?