I know this is the win32 list, but to compare and contrast, I get 1/2
second freezes on linux if I _DO_ set affinity

We noticed the server "jumping cores" every few minutes via gkrellm, so we
set affinity... and got freezes every few minutes instead.  By contrast if
we leave scheduling up to the machine it'll jump cores (if we have 2
servers running, they swap cores) but stay smooth