The dedicated servers mentioned in that article are for Xbox 360, not PC.
Also, Gabe has made mention of the new lobby system that will debut with
Left 4 Dead, so finding a game with your friends should be a cinch.  This
would greatly reduce the amount of tomfoolerly that goes on as you'd not
normally get griefed by your friends...normally. ;)

http://www.steamfriends.com/steam/p2_articleid/1225

Jackasses, lamers and ragers could be a problem, but they'd be no different
than a lot of admins we all run into now anyway.  Generally, admins are
decent, but lately, more and more, admins *are* the jackasses, lamers and
ragers.  Maybe there'll be a votekick system incorporated into the game.
Three teamwork oriented people and one idiot...shouldn't be hard to get rid
of the idiot even without an admin.  As far as cheating in Left 4
Dead...meh.  It would seem silly to cheat, but I'm sure they'll be out
there.

Ahhh, let the speculation begin. ;)

By the way, I can't wait for the game!

-Richard Eid