I figured out the issue with the disconnect/reconnect bug. It definitely has
something to do with the rates on the clientside.

Scenario to test: Set your client rates to the following.

cl_cmdrate 100
cl_updaterate 100
rate 50000

Beat the first level.

Now, on the second level, you should have latency issues.

Now, set your settings to the following.

cl_cmdrate 30
cl_updaterate 30
rate 20000

The latency issue will disappear until the next time you reach that level,
and then you will have to set all of your rates to the top again, and then
back to the bottom to fix it once more.

Eureka! I've found it! :D