Question though... if a server has the map cycle limited to coop only and a
party of 8 (vs mode) tries to connect to the server via matchmaking... what
happens?

I'm pretty sure the server doesn't advertise that it is limited to coop only
maps or vs only maps... it only finds out when it reads the
mapcycle/maplist. (Which then brings up the question, when does the srcds
read mapcycle/maplist?)

Does the party bypass that server and keep searching, or connect to server
and something (i have no clue) happens? Perhaps boots 4 of the players and
forces them into coop mode?

Hmm, just curious in understanding. =)