Because right now I think valve made an update which has screwed the
steam system over. (That is my personal view anyway).

I got gifted L4D, and couldn't download for 3 hours, because every time
i tried to install it I was promped for my password because my "ticket"
expired. This happens every time the download stalls, and requires the
blobs to be deleted and me to relogin again to get the download moving.

Also happens for other games, so I think its to do with Steam servers
rather than any game engine itself or VAC.