It seems odd to me that a lot of hosts are using their own webspace to host
the same files as other hosts. I get that that it would take some
organization, but i imagine that established GSPs would benefit from a
communal, locality based download server.

Eg, here in Australia as a small time server operator it is cheaper for me
to get a US host for downloadable content than to use a local one, but if
there was an option to pay a small fee to contribute to a local server i
would jump at the oppurtunity.