The actual resources used by IIS to serve a full server of 20 players a
large bzippedfile is negligible.  What DOES get hit is your bandwidth.  If
you don't have a solid uplink and NIC, you're going to get lag.  CPU wise,
no problem at all.

The mime types for the bz2 archives can be set as application/download.