Your assumption is that there _are_ any available servers with lower pings.
My experience is that at peak times if I spawn extra servers they will be
filled pretty much instantaneously (western European server with good pings
to the UK).  That being the case, you being connected to far-away servers
doesn't mean the lobby system _chose_ that server so much as was _forced_ to
give you that server.