I think you're right -- except that using the steamgroup cvar doesn't
leave any servers available for the group, which is why you end up
getting stuck using sv_search_key.

I've been thinking about dropping the sv_search_key on my servers here
lately as my group is rarely using the servers anymore...  We were
using it so we could get lobbies going, but anymore that seems to not
be happening, especially with the last client update.

I think I'm going to end up moving 8 of my 10 servers to being without
a search key (but still tied to the steamgroup) -- the other two I'll
leave 'reserved' for lobby use by the group.