Well I just guinea pigged people on a 32 person server and nothing
happened to them, but I am not sure it even affects network servers, or
if it only takes effect after mapchange or something like that. In-game
it says this to me.

"sv_lan" = "0"
 - Server is a lan server ( no heartbeat, no authentication, no
non-class C addresses )

However I had sv_lan 0 set on my test LAN server and it still wouldn't
talk to the authentication servers. Richard Eid suggest -nomaster which
I have found while searching, but nobody confirms it actually works and
he says he hasn't tried in a long time.