This... actually isn't a bad idea.  It's a pain to implement, though, for a
couple of reasons.

First, the assumption by most on this thread is that it's a single guy
operating from a single (or just a handful) of computers.  They further
assume that he's forging the source IP addresses so the requests look like
they're coming from many many different machines.  If this is true, there's
no way to trace or block him based upon the information included in the
packets he's creating.  I think this assumption is wrong, as I'll explain
below.

Second, if this assumption is incorrect you need to find a way to identify
each and every source and block them one at a time.  Netblocks are at best a
crude measure which risks blocking many legitimate clients.  Such a process
needs to be automated as much as possible or it's not effective.

Now, why do I think that this is probably not coming from just a handful of
sources?  Simple.  DDoS stands for Distributed Denial of Service, after
all.  Botnets are reaching incredible proportions.  It's easy to rent as
many as a quarter million compromised machines if you want to and you have
the cash.

Too cheap or too poor to rent someone else's network of infected PCs?  No
problem.  Tools exist to build new malware and they're easy to come by if
you're willing to start looking in the right places.  All you have to do is
build your bot code and figure out a way to get it loaded on 5,000, 10,000,
or more PCs.  After that, DDoS to your heart's content.  Script kiddies do
this _all_ _the_ _time_.

So, when under attack your choices are:

*  Wait it out.

*  Work with your vendor to figure out a way block the attack in the first
place.  (Valve, obviously, in this case.)

*  Automate the process of identifying sources and filtering them out.

*  Cry a lot.

Generally, I settle for a combination of the first and second options.  If
an attack gets bad enough, I work with my local ISP to implement the third.
(My server is co-located in their datacenter and they're really good guys to
work with.)  Generally, some combination of tcpwrapper, netfilter, and
iptables will do the job on my Linux server.  Sometimes we find it easier to
just block it at one of their routers so they don't have to deal with the
traffic on their network.

Every now and again, I find myself following the fourth option until I
figure out what's going on and fall back on some combination of the first
three options.  :-)

HTH.

=JpS=SgtRock