From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Octo
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 9:14 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds] Its the law!

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 07:44:58PM -0800, SmOoThEm wrote:
> These people downloaded everyone's server configs, and my rcon password
was
> unhackable due to the complexity of it. Only one of my servers were
> affected. If you look in your cfg folder and you see a "server.cfg.
.ztmp"
> then you have been hacked too. I have a feeling there is a major exploit
in
> the wild that will soon hit more than fakeclient servers.

Are those spaces or a tab trailing the .cfg?

> And for the record we run fake clients for one reason, so our server shows
> up on the list when you refresh. By default empty servers will not show up
> in the master list, no one will ever see the empty server to populate it.
We
> only have 1 client running because we know how much the community hates
> them.

So why not lobby for that setting to be changed, or maybe sit on your server
like other admins do trying to get them going?  As an admin who does take
the
time to try to get his servers going and rewards users who take the time to
make the servers visible I'm glad to see that your community believes that
the
best way of achieving the same result is dishonesty.

-octo