cl_interp is the amount of latency the client lags the models they see in
their screen.  This is necessary to smooth the position updates client
receives from server.  Changing it will cause no hit performance at all.
The server will automatically compensate for this lag based on the players
cl_interp value.  Lowering or raising it will not give you better results.
The complaints about hit registry is because the server and client will
always have different results, because numbers can go into infinite
(example: pi) and we can only network a number the size of -2,147,483,648 to
+2,147,483,648.  So you see the predicament.