Valve implemented this feature in Left 4 Dead 2 a little while back.  It's
been somewhat controversial with a vocal minority but has ultimately proven
itself useful to the rest of the community.  Personally I'm a huge fan of
it.  There is a thread on SPUF in which Chet Faliszek offers a little
insight into your question.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28547471&postcount=237

TF2 is obviously very different than L4D2 and the feature has already been
tuned a little to better meet the needs of a server admin.  In fact, if I
remember correctly in L4D2 it only applies to official servers(I think).
 But as a L4D2 server operator I don't believe there are any options/CVars)
yet available for how a server should handle the block list, which is a
feature of Steam Community and not the L4D2 dedicated server.

Hopefully everyone here provides some good feedback instead of paranoid
conspiracy theories like what some users dreamed up in that thread.
 Seriously, some of it is priceless.  Also of note from Chet's post is that
Valve personally contacts these undesirables and works to change their
behavior.  So for serial abusers of this feature in TF2 you can bet Valve
will be in contact with them as well.

                                                     -Richard Eid