I'm not sure what the update problem is (maybe just leave it for an hour
then try and update again), but for the not showing up, is sv_lan 0 set?
 Try giving them the IP and seeing if they can connect through console with
the connect command.

I know at one point that I would get a message saying may TF2 server was
all updated, but it wouldn't work.  I ran update again and it fixed it all
up.  Apparently it didn't download the full update.  That could be your
problem.