I'm really not sure why people act surprised when they get penalized for
these things. Fletcher was pretty clear what kinds of things they would be
penalizing for: Fake clients, making bots look like real players, and
failing to set the correct tags when you have fast respawn enabled.

We were guilty of the last thing (omitting the fast respawn tag), but I
fixed that based on advice from Fletcher Dunn (altering the plugin so that
"mp_respawnwavetime" is altered when we have the fast respawn plugin
enabled, which forces the proper tag to be added to the browser).

I've never understood why some operators think the only way to fill servers
is to "trick" players into joining. We've never used fake clients or any of
that other stuff, and our servers do just fine. You just need to make it
worth your player's while to help low-populations servers get going
everyday. Recently, we added a cross-platform feature that allows our
players to earn units of our minecraft currency (used on our minecraft
server) in return for helping those servers get started everyday. For every
10 minutes they spend helping a low-population server get going, they get
minecraft $$$ to spend in our minecraft server (all tracked in real time
via a database).

Think outside the box, instead of trying to shortcut your way to server
traffic, and you'll have much better results in the long-term.