Adding HLDS_Linux to that answer.

From: Fletcher Dunn
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:53 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
Subject: RE: [hlds] Optional updates to Source engine betas released

Ah.  I think because “-1” begins with a dash, it is being interpreted as its
own option, not as an argument to the +sv_pure.

So I think your command line is actually being interpreted as “+sv_pure 1”,
because 1 is the default option when parsing the command line.  If you just put
+sv_pure with no option, that’s what you get --- which is not the same as if
you don’t put sv_pure on the command line!  So that’s a bit confusing.

NOTE: You CAN change sv_pure after boot, provided that you start with it on.
The only thing you cannot do is turn it on, when it started off.  The reason is
that there is extra work involved in maintaining some hashes, and they need to
start happening from the very beginning.  By the time the server parses the
config file, it is too late for many important files.  So, for example, GSP’s
would probably force this option on, and then allow server operators to lower
the setting or turn it off if they wanted.