Put your config files under the custom/*NAME*/cfg directory. That way they
won't be overridden on update (and you'll have the stocks readily available
just in case).

thesupremecommander (Steam<http://steamcommunity.com/id/thesupremecommander>
)
Chief Admin, SPUFserver <http://steamcommunity.com/groups/spufpowered>