Team Fortress 2 is now almost 7 years old. That means it's player base
has also aged. Those who played it often in high school/college when
they had plenty of spare time might have graduated, gotten jobs and
something called a "life" and simply gotten too busy to play TF2 on a
regular basis. This, together with the release of new FPS games like
Interstellar Marines, and plenty of MOBA games to virtually kill
others in a competitive or casual manner (including Valve's very own
Dota 2), might account for the slow but steady decline of concurrent
TF2 players. It's still having it's occasional ups, but I think we'll
see a downward trend on the whole.

This is just a hypothesis of course, but I'm speaking from the
experience of myself and my friends, who used to play TF2 a lot but
don't anymore, as much fun as it used to be. When we have time to play
a game in the evenings it's usually Dota 2 nowadays.

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 1:27 AM, Robert Paulson <thepauls...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you fking serious? The kind of players that play FPS like TF2 have very
> little overlap with mmos. If you have actually watched player counts like I
> do, you would know this. The release of Mists of Pandaria and Guild Wars 2
> pretty much had 0 impact on the TF2 player count.
>
> The TF2 collapse has been happening since February and Wildstar just
> released 2 days ago...
>

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Lyrai <lyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There's Wildstar, which just came out, and is an MMO. Final Fantasy 14 is
>> apparently doing very well, and just had a minor content patch. Both of
>> those are things I'd blame for loss of player count, before this Chicken
>> Little screaming.

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
  - Floyd Dell