I thought this post by a Valve employee might be relevant to the discussion.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22337462&postcount=10

Unfortunately I don't think we're ever going to get the sheer numbers
needed to force Valve's hand because the average player doesn't understand
the problem. Most players remaining joined after the change, and they have
no concept of how things could be better. Most of the veterans that quit
assumed that their favorites servers naturally died instead of being killed
by Valve. As you can see, that reddit post only has around 40 votes total.

I tried to warn everyone that the continued removal of server owner rights
would lead to problems for everyone, but many people here thought that it
wouldn't affect them as much as the "bad" servers, and all the players from
the "bad" server would end up on their servers. Every removal was praised
not only by trolls that didn't even play the game anymore for years, but
also quite a few community owners.

It is probably only up to Valve (or Eric, since I heard he was the only one
working on TF2 now) to realize they made a mistake by looking at how the
player counts are faring and seeing the drop in retention rates.