OK (sorry for the multiple emails to the list, but I thought this is worth
knowing):

Apparently, if a server is NOT registered for quickplay, the sv_tags will
get stripped out (I never bothered with these few servers, since they were
all 100% custom maps anyway). Registering each one for quickplay and
restarting fixed the "no sv_tags" issue.