Well if you read my 3rd paragraph, you would see that they are losing
money by throwing away their community players. A large portion of
these players are leaving for Overwatch instead of joining official
servers now that the last few community servers are dying.

You make it sound like communities don't add anything to their bottom
line. I've seen far more whales on community servers than official
ones, with dozens of unusuals in their backpack. And the total player
count hasn't been this low for the past 3 years. So the TF2 team is
also losing customers in some misguided belief that community servers
are bad or that it will make them more money.

If Valve was really all about money they would go pay2win. They seem
to care about their reputation, except where it comes to community
servers, I don't see how anyone would ever risk participating in
Valve's ecosystem if they knew how they killed off community servers.