Ive noticed the same thing. My servers are hogging the system.
The only thing i can think of is VAC.

My system is running on FreeBSD with dual PIII 500.

A couple days ago I was able to run them flawlessly on that HW. but today
its impossible. Even on the matchserver where we only run VAC, without any
cpu hogging plugins. the only plugin is wwcl, which runs once at logon.

It seems to be able to run ok up to 10 players.

/Bjorn

The thing is... It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't
care.