> hrmm, there's nothing in there about suing linux users, nor is there
> anything that even remotely closely resembles an urge to do so.

Ok, before the next person says this same thing, look carefully at this part
of the press release:

"The appointment of David Boies and the law firm of Boies, Schiller and
Flexner to help research and advise SCO on the company's intellectual
property."

Now, the law firm SCO hired, and the specific attorney mentioned, David
Boies, are strictly TRIAL ATTORNEYS.  That means that they TRY cases in
courtrooms.  They were hired to gather evidence of infringement of SCO's
Unix copyrights in the Linux "world", and to go to court and convince a
judge that Linux, or parts of it, or applications typcially bundled with it
(since Linux itself is really only the kernel, not the entire operating
system/environment) infringe on the SCO Unix patents in some way.

You can be absolutely sure from this that SCO will be sueing someone,
because again, that's all David Boies does.  And that someone will be the
Linux community, although specifically who we don't know yet.  It could be
Linus.  It could be Linux distributors (Red Hat, SuSe, et al).  It could be
corporations with big pockets who are using Linux in their business.  It
could be end users...

Oh, BTW, Boies defended Napster when the RIAA sued them.  Additionally, he
argued on behalf of the US Attorney General's Office against Microsoft in
its antitrust case.

The point is, one doesn't hire David Boies unless one wants to sue someone,
with the case typically ending up in a US Federal Court, or the US Supreme
Court.  One only hires David Boies if they have a big target of a lawsuit in
mind.  Boies doesn't handle small potatoes...

StanTheMan

rcon admin at:
Beer for Breakfast servers        <http://bfb.bogleg.org/>
   66.111.111.66:27015 (CS multi-map)
   66.111.111.66:27016 (CS militia/dust2)            Dallas, TX