That has to be the saddest thing I've read in a long time. I hate to say
this but I guess you're right. With the pig that's x.1.1.1 low end servers
are going out the door. Still, it doesn't quite justify *why* the new server
is such a pig. I understood the requirement jump when they added in the
voice chat. At least there was something tangible there to justify the
increased requirements. But 3.1.1.1 still doesn't have anything that seems
to justify the extra CPU consumption. I think someone said it best. Which
would someone prefer to run a server of? A recently released game like
UT2003 or five year old Half-Life if the server requirements end up being
the same? I really like Half-Life, but there's no point in justifying
running a server if the requirements begin to match newer games, especially
if Half-Life doesn't have anything that reflects those increased
requirements.

Ah.. well... I hope Valve reads these messages and they're working hard on
bringing the consumption back down again.