->-----Original Message-----
->From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
->[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
->SavannahLion
->Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 7:35 PM
->To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
->Subject: [hlds_linux] Re: HLDS 3111c
->
->That has to be the saddest thing I've read in a long time. I hate to say
->this but I guess you're right. With the pig that's x.1.1.1 low end servers
->are going out the door. Still, it doesn't quite justify *why* the
->new server
->is such a pig. I understood the requirement jump when they added in the
->voice chat. At least there was something tangible there to justify the
->increased requirements. But 3.1.1.1 still doesn't have anything that seems
->to justify the extra CPU consumption. I think someone said it best. Which
->would someone prefer to run a server of? A recently released game like
->UT2003 or five year old Half-Life if the server requirements end up being
->the same? I really like Half-Life, but there's no point in justifying
->running a server if the requirements begin to match newer games,
->especially
->if Half-Life doesn't have anything that reflects those increased
->requirements.

Well, except for the fact that it is currently the most popular game, and
arguably the most fun game.  Personally, I don't like ut2k3 all that much.
Sure, its a cool engine, but other than that, I think they failed.  The DM
DM/CTF isnt all that fun imho, and playing it over the internet is a serious
hog...  HL still has much better netcode than UT2k3, by a landslide imho.

But thats beside the point.  everyone is absolutely correct, in asking why
the cpu usage has gone up, when we do not see any actual additions or
improvements in the changelog.

kev